Sunday, November 29, 2015

En Plein Air Again


After grad school, which I spent the majority of my time painting late nights in my studio, I found myself struggling with getting myself outside painting.  Plein air painting was what originally made me want to be a painter. It was the adventure of not knowing what I was going to paint and all the discoveries that came from the exploration of new territories. It made me see light and color with "new" eyes.

Then there was that exhilaration of racing time and capturing a moment. Those paintings, unlike my studio ones, bring me right back to that day's experience where almost all my senses are engaged.  Happy to report that I am plein air painting once again with a small group of painting buddies. The above was painted last month in Tomales.

No comments: